Sunday, November 21, 2010

Where did the summer go...or fall for that matter!

So it's been quite a while since I last posted.  It took a sarcastic comment from my best friend Lizzie to bring me back here.  "You know what is neat about blogs? When people update them!".  She has always been my voice of reason.  I do enjoy those rare moments when I can blog.  It's those quiet times that I can reflect back on the beautiful memories we are creating with our children.  As fast as they are flying by, looking back on them makes me laugh.

Fall has brought it's share of its own memories...

My mother had back surgery in late summer.  For years she was plagued with back pain and unable to do the things she wanted to do with her grandchildren.  We were blessed that she had a remarkable recovery and for the first time since I can remember, she is pain free.

Halloween: The kids are finally at an age where they can really enjoy the fall fun. We made our usual trip to Reynold's Pumpkin Farm.  The tractor ride still remains Caleb's favorite part.  Both kids finally tackled the big tube slide.  Caleb came out the other end sqealing with glee. Syd was still a bit undecided as she came out the other end looking like she either swallowed a bug or saw a ghost...Not sure what that look was exactly.  The pumpkins were painted with loving care (we are not quite key on the idea of arming them with pumpkin knives).  Daddy and I carved our pumpkins, and the kids stared disgustingly at the "goo" inside of them.  Four pumpkins lined up for display on the Roth front porch and we shared an evening snack of roasted pumpkin seeds.


*********************************************************************************
 
Unfortunately I was out of town on business for Trick or Treat, so Daddy was on costume duty.  It is somewhat evident that I was away due to the fact that there is only one, slightly out of focus photo to post.  Some things are just better left to Mommy I guess!  Caleb was no longer fearful of masks and bravely donned a Spiderman mask for the first time.  Sydney, who transformed into a beautiful Tinkerbell, was not so fond of the mask.  Bless Caleb's little heart.  The poor kid managed to entice the only bee still lingering in the cold weather into his cozy mask.  The shriek of his first bee sting resonated through the neighborhood only 10 minutes in to Trick or Treat.  The evening was still enjoyable, and I was pleased to get a sugar filled call from my babies.  I'm not entirely sure what the conversation was as they excitedly talked over each other to tell me about the night.


**********************************************************************************


Caleb turned 4 years old in November.  We spent 3 weeks prior to his birthday fielding requests for every toy advertised on TV.  He didn't seem to care if it was a toy for an infant girl, he wanted it!  He had a Spiderman pool party with a few of his closet friends.  I'm so proud of his continued efforts in the water.  We also took the kids to see Disney on Ice, Toy Story for Caleb's birthday.  He is still a little unsure of the "reality" of it all.


The kids continue to grow and develop.  They love to line up at the growth chart on the wall to see who is growing the fastest.  Sydney's vocabulary has tripled since the summer, and she is quite the company to have around the house with her constant chatter.  Their imaginations continue to amaze me.  When I inquire on their day at daycare, they inform me that they skipped daycare and went to the high school for the day.  Caleb runs his own garage as well, and oddly enough has employees with the same name as Chris's employees.  In contrast though, he works on Chevy's AND BMW's.  They love to play together as Mommy and Daddy and we find it hysterical to hear our own words come back to haunt us.  They regurgitate my discipline techniques, and I'm not sure whether to be proud, embarrassed, or to just laugh.  At least in some small capacity, they ARE listening to me...Right?  Both kids sarted gymnastics late summer.  Syd is a natural, and hopefully we will add dance to her resume in the summer.  God love Caleb as is he is not as adept in the "grace and balance" department, but he is very skilled in tumbling.  It is amazing to watch them master new skills and see their excitement in class.

**********************************************************************************
So alas, we head into the holiday season.  The darkeness comes earlier at night, but is perfect for our traditional Christmas light hunting on the trip home from daycare.  The holidays have started off with a perfectly frigid night at the Christmas Parade!


No comments:

Post a Comment